Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Raw Brussel Sprout Salad


After a short hiatus I’m back with a great Brussels sprout recipe.  Yesterday, I enjoyed the last day of the outdoor Green City Market; next weekend we will visit the market at the Peggy Notebaert Nature Musuem.  The market was filled with Brussels sprouts yesterday; some venders were even selling the growing stalk with the Brussels still attached. 

I myself planted some Brussels sprouts on my roof top garden, although I planted them too late so I will not be able to harvest them before the first frost. 


I need to give credit to Michael Chiarello of Bottega for influencing this recipe.   I first had this salad several years ago on a trip the Napa Valley with the girls.  I have worked to recreate it for a couple of years and believe it’s pretty spot-on.  Maybe Michael could comment?

Raw Brussels Sprout Salad
1 lb of Brussels sprouts
1 tablespoon of chopped shallot
1 tablespoon of chopped roasted hazelnuts
1 large organic hard-boiled egg
1 lemon
½ cup grated Pecorino Romano
¼ cup of Extra Virgin Olive Oil (California*)
a handful of Italian parsley leaves

To start, make sure you find some really large Brussels sprouts, we will be using a mandolin to shred them and don’t want to recreate a scene from Saw V. Cut off the brown ends of the Brussels sprouts and pull off any yellow outer leaves.  Use a mandolin to shred the Brussels sprouts down to the core.  I have a pretty unsophisticated mandolin I picked at whole foods, if you do not have one, just carefully slice the Brussels sprouts by hand.   

In a separate bowl combine 1 tablespoon of chopped shallots, the juice of one lemon (~1/4 cup) and a ¼ cup of extra virgin olive oil. Whisk these together and season with salt and pepper.  Ten minutes before serving combine the dressing, Brussels sprouts, Italian parsley leaves, Pecorino Romano and a chopped hard-boiled egg.   

Leave the salad to sit for 5-10minutes to allow the favors to mingle. As you bring the salad to the table sprinkle the roasted hazelnuts on top.  


*I prefer California Extra Virgin Olive Oil because it has a very woody flavor in comparison to the Greek and Italian Olive oils.   My favorite, Pasolivo is from the central coast of California, from a region of great food and wine, Paso Robles.  In Chicago it is sold at Olivia’s Market in Bucktown and FoodStuff in the burbs. 

1 comment: